About DogVacay Engineering:
At DogVacay, our engineers are encouraged to use the tools that will get the job done versus forcing them to follow a set path that might stifle their creativity.
We like software engineers who take pride in what they do and understand the importance of building code that is testable. We value the principles of Test Driven Development and Service Oriented Architecture. We believe in building features by breaking it down into small components. We believe in writing software that can be scaled independently and we favor asynchronous communication where possible.
We believe that collaboration with Product is good thing and encourage all our engineers to communicate directly with the Product team. We believe in investing in the growth of our engineers and lastly, we like engineers who code because they love it and not because it is a means to make a living.
The DogVacay code base is written in Java, Groovy, Go, PHP and Objective C. We have an app written in Clojure and we hope to build on that. Our applications are deployed on Amazon Web Services and we use technologies like Spring, Quartz, Redis, Logstash, Kibana, Jetty and Nginx. As a Sr. Engineer at DogVacay, you will have the unique opportunity to contribute to every aspect of the website. We are currently working on re-architecting a few core components of our site, so you will have the opportunity to build something new from the ground up. Looking into the future we see ourselves using technologies like Lucene/Solr, Hadoop, Amazon Redshift and D3. Since we have a small team of 6 engineers, you will have the ability to very quickly implement features that impact the lives of our users in a meaningful way.
• Must have a solid foundation in programming and computer science.
• Fluency in Java and at least one more language that runs on the JVM (Groovy,
Scala, Clojure etc.).
• Must be very comfortable with agile and Test Driven Development
• Very clear understanding of Service Oriented Architecture and REST
• Experience with high traffic, consumer-facing websites is preferred.
• Experience with Amazon Web Services is preferred.
• In addition to extensive experience with a relational data store like MySQL,
experience with at least one NoSQL data store is a must.
• Experience with some kind of search related technology like Apache Solr
would be a huge plus.
• Experience with messaging technologies like RabbitMQ or queues like
Beanstalkd would be a huge plus.
• Experience with Android would be a plus.
• Excellent communication and collaboration skills.
• Excellent problem solving skills.
• Must be self-directed and thrive in a fast paced and entrepreneurial culture.
Education and Experience:
• BS/MS in Computer Science or equivalent work experience.
• 8+ years of development experience.